The Outreach Booth has two main objectives:
- Outreach to other non-believers - to let them know there is a large and welcoming community of secular people with whom they can connect.
- Being positive ambassadors for non-theism - to give passersby a positive impression of the atheist community – whether they stop to talk or not.
The goal is a positive experience for the guest.
Founders: Sean, Jim. Organizer: Robert. Treasurer: Pat
The Outreach Booth does not exist to:
- Convert believers;
- Win an argument;
Discuss - and do not argue;
Stay constructive - and do not get offended;
- Enjoy and support the friendly atmosphere at the Booth.
- Hang out behind the tables, keep the front open for passing pedestrians.
- Let people come to us – do not invite or urge anyone to engage by any means.
- Greet approaching people, give them the freedom to communicate and to choose materials.
- The presented literature and signs should directly relate to atheism, humanism, or critical thinking.
- Respect conversation flow of others. Ask for a permission to join. Do not interrupt.
- Stay on topic. Move long conversations off to the side.
- Keep conversation volumes low. Do not crowd around a discussion.
- Maintain secular standpoint. Asking a lot of questions is a very positive approach.
- Calm upset guests – do not escalate.
- If this doesn’t work – stop talking. Walk away if you have to.
- Project a respectable image of atheists and humanist values.
- Be accepting of mainstream science, including cosmology and biology.
If there are any issues, please contact Robert immediately.
This booth is self-policing. We want everyone to feel empowered to help others in maintaining our guidelines. We are a small minority with a very negative stigma and a huge tide of negative emotion pressing against us. The responsibility is ours to keep to the high road.
This public document in one page on Google Docs:
See you there!